Marc D. Brooks
Making stakeholders happy with timely delivery of products above quality expectations, realistic scope and capability definition, and attention to detail
Building successful teams through accountability, steady advocacy, and frequent, honest communication
Associate Director, Software Engineering Major League Baseball Apr 2018 - Present
- Shepherd digital initiatives and media products from concept to scale for the Major, Minor, Amateur and Youth leagues and clubs, and their partner networks.
- Recruit and manage a happy, productive team, with clear professional growth objectives.
- Foster communication and collaboration among interdisciplinary departments.
Independent Product Development Contractor 1998 - Present
- Involve clients in creating user stories, before engineering full-stack solutions for new or existing properties.
- Manage engineering and design subcontractors according to client requirements.
- Create product and feature designs, original artwork and licensed edits.
- Install and maintain databases and content management systems, and provide end user instruction.
- Execute search engine optimization and social marketing strategies.
Lead Software Engineer Major League Baseball Dec 2015 - Apr 2018
- Provided guidance, instruction and support to a team with a wide range of engineering experience.
- Accountable for web application quality, timely delivery, performance and reliability for MLB and other leagues, media networks, athletes, celebrities and more.
Senior Producer, Partner Solutions Major League Baseball Apr 2012 - Dec 2015
- Built value of products by creating or improving user interface and experience.
- Guaranteed partner product requirements were defined and met, through innovation, leadership and championing process improvement.
Marketing Producer Major League Baseball Sept 2010 - Apr 2012
- Responsible for fast-paced development of high-profile marketing initiatives through Major League Baseball's official websites and other media properties.
- Managed feature and functionality development for promotions, subscription products, ticketing initiatives, and sweepstakes.
- Engaged Club and League technical, marketing, ticketing and sponsorship staff to improve traffic, conversion and user experience.
Webmaster | Designer CBS Television Distribution Sept 2007 - Sept 2010
- Recognized for visual design, interactivity, functionality and user experience of Emmy Award-winning series Rachael's official site: Official Honoree for three Webby Awards categories, including Best Practices.
- Scaled community exponentially by replacing vendors and technologies, at 25% yearly cost reduction.
- Maximized reliability and accountability by modernizing security, analytics, virtualization, database management and version control.
- Managed front and back end development projects with up to four engineers, defined scope, assigned responsibility and determined compensation.
- Designed and oversaw development of seasonal site-wide redesigns, a CRM tool to facilitate segment production, micro-sites and direct-marketing campaigns.
- Selected hosting, development and design vendors, and negotiated financial and technical terms of contracts and statements of work.
Consultant MK Technology Jan 2006 - Sept 2007
- Authored regular reports on the export controls regulatory environment, based on meetings with the National Council for International Trade Development and the US Department of Commerce's Regulations and Procedures Technical Advisory Committee.
- Implemented full redesign of all the company's and subsidiaries' web properties, focusing on e-commerce, user experience improvements, usability heuristics, SEO and SEM
- Responsible for creation of new sales conduits, a 350% rise in monthly page-views, and 30% bounce rate reduction, while reducing hosting costs by 75% and increasing productivity company-wide.
New York University Polytechnic School of Engineering New York, NY - 2011-2014
M.S. Technology Management
State University of New York at Binghamton Binghamton, NY - 2001-2005
B.A. Comparative Literature
Varsity Debate Team, Resident Assistant
University of Judaism Jerusalem, Israel - 2000-2001
History, Sociology and Hebrew Language Study Programs
High School English Instructor
Engineering & Management:
- Windows, macOS, *nix
Software and Services:
- Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, CDNs, Adobe (Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator, After Effects), Microsoft (Office, Exchange), Git, SVN, Sublime, Emacs, Jenkins, Terraform
- Basic Spanish and Hebrew
- MDA (Red Star of David) Certified First-Response Medic, Mar 2001, Haifa, Israel
- New York State Certified EMT-B, ID# 329050, Jan 2005, Binghamton, NY
- Red Cross Certified Lifeguard Instructor and Aquatics Supervisor, Jun 2005, Barryville, NY
Boy Scouts of America - Troop 25, Manchester, CT
- Eagle Scout
- Cooking, Skiing, Astronomy, Biking, Hiking, Camping, Saxophone, Guitar